I chose a navy fabric and a blue/green batik and got going.
|First look at blocks|
I had said from the beginning of the pregnancy that I thought the baby was going to be a boy but having committed to traditionally masculine colours I started to worry & thus a gender neutral themed quilt was born - Under the Sea. I figured that the chevrons could look like waves...and if this baby was going to be inconveniently female we would just add a few pink fish at the end!
Once the quilt top was assembled I started to rough edge applique some fish/seaweed/urchins etc onto it. I really wished at this point I'd started earlier as I was tempted to keep going and going, I think it's definitely inspired me for future baby quilts!
The orange fish in above picture never made it to the final quilt but at this stage I had more pressing problems afoot - the baby had arrived and was a beautiful baby boy - Theodore Geoffrey John. When my two boys were born I'd received framed cross-stitch pictures with their details on and I loved them so much that decided to embroider Theo's onto the quilt. For once I prepared and BOUGHT AN EMBROIDERY HOOP, I know, anyone would think I was learning from my mistakes.
|The Hoop in action|
Once his name, date of birth and birth weight were embroidered I faffed about a bit with three blue fish I'd added in the seaweed and then fixed the fluffy blue backing. The instructions were brilliant and I found the pattern easy to follow. Below you can see the finished present, it's currently in the washing machine and will be given to Theo tomorrow - I hope he likes it and if he becomes a Marine Biologist I hope to take a little of the credit.
|'Under the Sea' for Theo|