CALLING ALL ECO SUPERHEROES!!!
WHO WANTS TO HELP SAVE THE PLANET ONE FOOD WRAP AT A TIME?
All of you. Brilliant. Lets get going then...
You'll need - Fabric (approx 1 Fat Quarter), Beeswax, string, pegs or buy a kit from the gifts and kits section at ↴
1. Preheat your oven to 180F (160F fan) and get a baking tray ready.
2. Tie some string up as close to the oven as possible and get some little pegs ready.
2. Cut your fabric with pinking shears for pretty edges. Now a quick note about fabric choice...I'm not saying pre-wash but you need to make sure its a quality cotton that is colour fast, cut a few different sizes - think about what you want to use it for.
3. Line your tray with grease proof paper or foil and pop your fabric in, sprinkle beeswax lightly over it.
4. Pop it in and check after a few minutes. When it's ready the cloth will look soaking wet, use your paintbrush or spreader to ensure all the fabric is covered. Carefully remove the tray from the oven and peg up to dry. You will get hot wax on your fingers at this point unless you wear gloves.
5. Enjoy being a smug eco sandwich wrapper.
** Your beeswax wrap will last about 3 months - some careful people manage to make them last 6-12months! You can clean them with water and gentle soap.
To wrap around food, fold as you would cling film and hold you hand around the wrap, it will soften the wax and you can mould it over the top of a bowl or around an item.
When your wrap is tired and old it can be added to a compost bin, it will biodegrade. If you have a fire or bbq you can wrap it round wood for a decent fire starter**